Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Eglise St-Eustache and the Angelina Tearoom in Paris

     I had been in Paris for three days but had yet to feel like it.  The places we had visited were saturated with tourists, and the people we had spoken with did so in perfect English.  I love my country, its language and culture, but when I travel, I want to escape my every day and experience difference.  It took three days, but the Eglise St-Eustache (Church of St. Eustace) brought tears to my eyes with the realization that I was in Paris.
     My senses were overwhelmed that day sitting on the small, wooden chairs, watching the sun make its way through the stained glass windows, and listening to the largest organ in France echo magical notes off the arched ceiling.  Goosebumps surfaced on my arms as I thought of the individuals who had been in this very church; Voltaire buried below, Mozart during his mother's funeral, and Louis XIV taking his first communion.  Now you might see why my Parisian travels became a little more Parisian.
With late Gothic architecture the church was built between 1532 and 1632.
The gorgeous archways and tiny wooden chairs.
Stained glass windows.
The altar.
The largest organ in France.  Boy, could it sing!
For those organ savvy readers, it has 101 stops and 8,000 pipes dating back to 1854.
     After our trip to church, we satisfied our sinful appetites with the extra-thick "African" hot chocolate from the Angelina Tearoom and of course our first macaroons.
PDub really can't handle the sun; hence, the awesome face.
One of my many French addictions, macaroons.  One of each please.

No comments:

Post a Comment